Thursday, January 19, 2012

Women and Children First

Have you ever heard of the Christian Boys' and Men's Titanic Society?  Their mission helps us learn about the once firm, but now fading, resolve to put "women and children first" in a crisis.  If one thing is to be remembered about the Titantic it is the bold men and boys from every deck and station of this maiden voyage.  They risked and gave their lives ensuring the safety of the women and children aboard.  Even more, we learn the origin of this law, once engrained in the soul of the Western World.


The Society states, "Three days after the Titanic sank, churchman Henry Van Dyke offered this: Where did this rule which prevailed in the sinking of the Titanic come from? It comes from God through faith of Jesus of Nazareth. It is the ideal of self-sacrifice. It is the rule that the strong ought to bear the infirmities of those that are weak. It is the divine revelation which is summed up in the words: Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. . . . Only through the belief that the strong are bound to protect and save the weak because God wills it so, can we hope to keep self-sacrifice, and love and heroism, and all the things that make us glad to live and not afraid to die."

In this centennial year of remembering the Unsinkable Ship and those who perished in hopes that all would be saved, we are also witnesses to the sad and sorry state of today's world in 2012 when a Captain abandons his ship.  These matters have weighed on my heart as we remember Norm and his passing one year ago today.  He was not perfect but he was good.  He was always late, but he was always there.  And I think Norm, the Captain, would have a lot to say about Cowards and Keeping Promises.

It is fitting that, during this week, Sam should be away tending his family-ship in New York while I remain busy at home.  Warily, I sense the same feelings of last year return to me: Loneliness and Exhaustion.  And Hopelessness made this a paralyzing trio.  With the uncertainty of Norm's health, Esra's health, and my health looming over me, Sam precariously balanced caring for all of us.  I didn't think it would end.  But Rescue and Relief came for all of us.  We said good-bye to Norm, who was courageous to the last moment.  I found a diagnosis for myself and help caring for Esra.

This time, one year later, as I feel the solitude and fatigue overcoming me, I remember that third companion is nowhere to be found. Instead I am hopeful.  And with that comes last year's lesson that everything comes to an end.   This Separation will end.  We will be reunited. We will be healed.  I am thankful that this Loss has not made me bitter.  Only more mindful of Covenants, time and space, and that I look forward to seeing Norm again, as he welcomes us on his ship, that has been "gone from [our] sight..." (quote from Henry Van Dyke's poem, "The Ship"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Peggy, for such beautiful, inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete